Thursday, July 2, 2009

Travelog Umrah : The Tests

Test 1:
I was tested even before I get there. First there were issues with travel agent. Of late, there were many scams on Umrah packages; my first booking with agent A was a bit dubious. They asked for RM500 more than said prices one month before the departure date. I was a bit reluctant and Alhamdulillah, managed to find another agent in short period of time that offers within my budget.

Test 2:
I was supposed to finish my menstrual cycle on the 15th june and by the time I touchdown Jeddah able to perform any ibadat that I desired. However on the 9th june, I did not have my period yet. Went to the clinic, and although it is not advisable to take any medication, I don’t want to take any risk. I wouldn’t want to miss my opportunity there. While on medication, I even prayed hard that I would be given chances to perform as much ibadah as possible in both Makkah and Madinah, and Alhamdulillah, I did.


Test 3:

If there is one thing that I like about long flight is the in-flight entertainment. Gulf Air has a good range of movies and it takes very strong will power not to succumb to the temptations…J

Test 4:
In both Mekah and Madinah I was placed in a room with two ‘makcik’ (MC). One of them comes with a husband and another with a son. We stayed in Madinah first and Masjid Nabawi has different entry for men and women. Due to this reason I took the responsibility of walking the two MC to the mosque and also picking them up for lunch although I have to race back and forth from the hotel to the mosque. I never really stayed back at the mosque, as they were not able to go back to the hotel on their own. At first I was glad that I helped them. Would imagine liking that my mother was treated likewise.

However, I sensed that this would go on even after we move to Mekah. Both of the husband and son totally let go off their responsibility to a total stranger, which is yours truly. I was a bit upset and angry, I know I shouldn’t be. Helping them is a form of ibadah as well. But how can I claimed my deed if I was feeling that I am dragged to help them? They were becoming a burden and I’m feeling reluctant every time I helped them. This has got to stop. I must make my feelings clear to them. On the first day in Mekah, I came clean, I asked them to arrange with respective husband and son on timing and how to go to the mosque.

It is not that far anyway, less than 300 m walk, its just that I feel that it is not fair dragging them to follow my odd timing as I planned to spend quite some time at Masjidil Haram, while they need to go back to hotel for dinner, snack break in between etc…So they agreed, they say they can managed on their own. I apologize for not being able to take care of them
(I actually can, but very reluctant as both were there with their mahram, I mean what is the responsibility of a mahram, if they could not even take care of the two MC?).

If I still do it, I fear that I will loose all of my pahala for not being honest. MasyaAllah…. it’s a daily conflict that I dealt with everyday in Mekah.

There were occasions that the MC did not go to the mosque because the husband did not pick her up….Subhanallah….


Test 5:
My patience was tested most of the time here. I'm the type that get on with what I am doing. So when we have to group for tahlil and Yaasin recital, I expected it to commence immediately at agreed timing. However, the ustaz here likes to gives muqadimah, nothing wrong with that, just that it was longer than the actual recital itself. I usually do not like this type of delay and it was really testing my patience. Hope I managed it well there and did not compromise my ibadah...

1 comment:

Yousaf said...

Good way to express the obligations of Umrah i really appreciated you and for next time i preffered best umrah deals which provides full safety complete guideline and freindly environment.